As seen on TV


Land Insurance: What You Need To Know Before Buying

Whether you’re building your new urban dream home or own fields of livestock, land insurance gives you peace of mind. If someone hurts themselves on your private property they can sue you. Land insurance (also known as property owners insurance) covers you financially for any legal costs you may face. But how do you know you’re getting the cover you need at the best price? Our quick guide tells you what you need to know before you buy.

Do I need land insurance?

If you own any pieces of land, it’s worth considering land insurance. That’s because you could be sued by someone if they injure themselves on your property. It’s particularly advisable if you have any public access on your land, for example, there’s a footpath or bridleway.

But even if there is no given public access, land insurance is worth thinking about. The Countryside and Rights of Way Act gives the public the freedom to roam of some private land. And someone can make a financial claim against you even if they are trespassing.

Landowner liability to the public

As the landowner, you are not liable for injury unless you deliberately set out to create risk or are ‘reckless’ about whether a risk is created. However, ‘reckless’ can be hard to define and it is often left to the courts to decide matters. Unfortunately, in our ‘no-win no-fee’ compensation culture, claims for injury are all too frequent and it can be costly to defend your case.

Is land insurance just about protection from being sued?

Land insurance primarily covers you for public liability – so will pay out legal costs if a claim is made against you. But you could also add protection for any items on the land. For example, you could opt for cover that will pay out if items, such as fencing or gates, on the land are damaged or stolen.

What types of land can land insurance cover?

Land insurance can cover any type of land, including land with outbuildings such as barns or hazards like ponds. Your broker, like Easy2Insure, can tailor your land insurance to your specific needs. So whether you’ve got a woodland with a footpath running through it, a private car park, or a building plot, you can get the right level of cover for your individual needs.

Multiple or single party land insurance policies

If you live in a property with a shared access driveway, you may want to consider taking out a multiple-party land insurance policy. Speak to your broker for more details.

How much will land insurance cost?

This figure will vary depending on the location, the potential hazards on the land, access, and the size of the area.

How do I get cheap land insurance?

The old adage goes you get what you pay. Generally the more you spend, the greater peace of mind you’ll buy. Whilst you should never skimp on any insurance, you can save yourself money by shopping around for the best value deal, or asking a broker to do this for you. You can also save cash on your premium by opting for higher excesses. Or it could be appropriate to reduce the indemnity (the maximum amount that is paid out for a claim) if your land is lower risk. Always ask your broker first for expert advice on if this could be relevant for your situation.

Choosing the right land insurance broker

At Easy2Insure we have 30 years experience arranging specialist land insurance policies for people like you. Our expert advisers can put together a bespoke deal. That will give you the level of cover that you need at the best price. For more details call 0800 9179522 or get a quote.